Instagram has brought out a new feature: Instagram Reels
I’m sure you’ve been bored as heck hearing about TikToks, but Instagram has come up with a similar feature.
Instagram Reels are a method of creating and sharing fun, short videos. You can record and edit ‘15-second multi-clip videos with audio, effects, and new creative tools’.
Adding pre filmed videos to Instagram Reels:
- Download the latest version of the Instagram app.
- Open the app.
- Swipe right to open the Instagram camera, or tap the camera icon in the top left corner.
- At the bottom of the screen, tap Reels.
- Tap the record button to film your Reel (the full clip must last between 3 and 15 seconds).
- Here, editing tools come up on the left hand side of the screen as follows: ‘Audio’, ‘Speed’, ‘Effects’ and finally ‘Timer’. Augmented reality effects are an option, too, ooooo.
- Post your Reel to your Instagram page or story, or save the Reel to your drafts and keep working on it later.
- Audio - allows you to select a song from Instagrams catalogue of music.
- Speed - allows you to select how fast or slow that the clip is.
- Effects - filters or lenses (like that of Snapchat) that can be put over videos. You can film many clips with different filters and plop them together. When on Reels, if you scroll all the way to the right, you will come across an entire effects gallery.
- Align - ghosting tool. Allows you to see where your last clip ended up when you’re back on the camera so that you can line up clips or make super smooth transitions.
- You can zoom in and out on a video just by sliding your thumb up or down. To zoom in, slide your thumb up, to zoom out, slide your thumb down.
- You can put a timer on so that it counts you down after you smash the record button - you can also put a timer on the clips - for example, if you want to film just three clips, then you can run a timer for 5 seconds meaning that it cuts off after x amount of time.
- You can add media from your camera roll (the camera roll icon can be found in the bottom left corner of the screen. You can finger scrub the media too (in essence, you can drag your finger across the screen, to quickly view the video content that you may want to put in a Reel - basically a preview as to what’s in the video).
- Once you have your Reel recorded, press the back button and you can click through the Reel quickly (as if it’s an Instagram Story). Tap the right side of the screen to go forward and the left side to go back. Unfortunately, you can only edit or delete the latest clip on the Reel.
- You can add stickers, gifs etc or even doodle or add in text over the video.
- To post your Reel, hit the arrow in the bottom right corner. You can then add a caption, select a cover photo (like a Youtube Thumbnail), and select whether you want to share the Reel to your feed as well as to your story.
When scrolling through your feed, you’ll know if it’s a Reel as it’ll say it in the bottom left of the video. If you click on this, it will take you to it in full screen, you can also scroll to see more Reels.
On the explore page, you not only have IGTV, Shop and Wellbeing, but now you also have a whole Reels section.
Lots of love from the Dream Team at Diverso
There's no comments for this item. Why not leave the first comment below?